Thursday, February 2, 2012

=CLEAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE=

My favorite comfort food is spaghetti - or any italian dish, really.  After a month of eating clean, I'm dreaming of spaghetti!  I decided to try my hand at sauce from scratch. 

There are many things I've made from scratch, but spaghetti sauce wasn't one of them.  I have always used a canned sauce or at least the seasoning packets with tomato sauce.  My kids are very picky about their spaghetti sauce - well, about anything actually:)  I knew I wanted to add plenty of good stuff, but there could be no chunks.  I blended everything in my blender, so now there's no evidence:)

Here's the recipe:

2 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Garlic, chopped (or paste)
2 TBS Basil (fresh, chopped or paste)
2 TBS Dried Oregano
3 Bell Peppers (I used 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), blended smooth
1 Medium Onion, blended smooth
1/2 Cup Sweet Potatoes, blended smooth
3 - 6 oz cans Tomato Paste
4 Cups Chicken Broth

Put all ingredients in a large skillet or saucepan and cook on medium high until sauce comes to a boil, stirring frequently.  After sauce begins to boil, lower temperature to medium low.  Simmer for 30-45 minutes.  Serve over whole wheat pasta.  Add chicken or ground beef, if wanted.

 

This doesn't look too appetizing, but it did the trick:)


It smells better than it looks - trust me on this one:)

No comments:

Post a Comment