Sunday, February 12, 2012

=SPICY PINTO BEANS AND SPINACH=

The first three weeks of our clean eating adventure, my husband decided he was not going to eat meat.  He wanted to detox.  I searched for ways for him to get protein and this was what I came up with - beans!  I don't have a picture, but quite frankly, the beans didn't look very good at all!  I skipped the picture because it didn't do this dish justice.  Know that this tastes fantastic, but beans aren't very photogenic:)
16 oz dry pinto beans, rinsed
3 TBS olive oil
1 TBS minced garlic
1 TBS minced basil
2 TBS dried thyme
1 large onion, rough chopped
6 roma tomatoes, rough chopped
2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed and diced
8 cups chicken broth
5 oz fresh spinach
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Put all ingredients except spinach in crock pot.  About an hour before it's ready, add the spinach.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

By all means, if you want more spice, add more jalapenos - or just keep the seeds!  And next time I make these, I think I'll add flax seed....

No comments:

Post a Comment