Thursday, January 26, 2012

=CHICKEN NUGGETS=

Now I know you're saying, "Chicken nuggets?  I thought she was giving us clean recipes!".  I am. 

We may just be starting the whole 'clean eating' thing, but our family quit eating chicken nuggets a long time ago.  Almost 2 years ago, I watched a video from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that sickened me!  I have never liked processed chicken nuggets or patties, but like most moms, I bought them for my kids.  I actually thought it was okay because I baked them instead of frying!  I've posted a link to the video for you if you're interested, but be warned, this isn't for those with weak stomachs!

I began making chicken nuggets at home, just by adding breading to pieces of chicken breast and baking them.  The kids liked them, but it wasn't love at first bite!  It's been a process.  Over time they've learned to like them.  Now we've changed things again!  We're not using white flour, so I've had to experiment some more. 

Let me apologize for my picture.  My kitchen lighting isn't very good, but this will give you the general idea...


 Not bad, right?  If you're baking these like me, instead of frying, use a sprayer filled with olive oil before you bake them, otherwise they won't brown (ask me how I know this!).  If they're not brown, they're still edible, but not so pleasing to the eye - which, by the way is how my kids judge everything! 


2 Chicken breasts
2 Egg whites (I buy them in a carton)
1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour (pastry flour has a lighter texture than regular whole wheat flour)
1 tsp Stevia
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
Olive oil in a spray bottle
Preheat oven to 400'.  Mix flour, Stevia, sea salt and pepper together in a small bowl.  Put egg whites in another bowl.  Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and dredge through egg whites, then flour mixture.  Place on a greased cookie sheet.  I cover mine with foil so I can just toss it when I'm done.  Spray nuggets with olive oil as evenly as possible.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until done.  These are wonderful!  Serve them with sweet potato fries or even white potato fries (gasp!).  This makes 15-20 nuggets.  To save time, you can make extra, put them in a freezer bag and toss them in the freezer for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment