Saturday, January 28, 2012

=HOMEMADE ICE CREAM=

I homeschool my kids and we belong to a local co-op (that we love!).  Every Friday, I teach a class to girls on homemaking skills.  Last week, I had decided to let them make their very own homemade ice cream - and in a Ziploc bag nonetheless.  A few years ago I did this with the kids at summer camp and it was a hit!  Here's a link for the original version.

My first thought was that I would just cheat a little.  Then the more I thought about it, I didn't want to cheat - I'd only just gotten started!  I decided to pack along my Stevia and unsweetened almond milk and give a clean version a shot! 


I was totally impressed!  Because Stevia has a bit of an aftertaste to me, I decided not to use much.  The result was AWESOME!  It tasted good, but not sugary sweet like original ice cream.  The best part is - after shaking that bag for 10 minutes, you've gotten a pretty good workout:)  Here's the recipe:

1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 packet of Stevia in the Raw
6 Tbs Ice Cream Salt
Ice
1 Quart-sized Freezer Bag
1 Gallon-sized Freezer Bag

Put almond milk, vanilla and Stevia in quart-sized freezer bag.  Close bag tightly.  In gallon-sized freezer bag, put ice and salt.  Put small bag inside large bag with ice and salt.  Close tightly.  Shake for 10 minutes.  About 20 calories per serving.  

1 serving

So next time your kids want a treat, there's no reason why you can't enjoy it with them!  The best part is the clean-up.  Just toss your bag!  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment