Tuesday, January 24, 2012

=THREE WEEKS IN=

After years of eating on the go and grabbing what was quickest with no regard to nutrition, we've decided to start eating "clean". We're easing our kids into this new way of eating, but my husband and I are diving in head first!

Quite frankly, we've taken the easy road - quick, processed foods in the pantry that were easy to grab and drive-thru windows are familiar to us, but they come with a price.  My husband and I will both turn 40 in 2012.  That's not old, but let's face it - the excess weight will be harder to lose the older we get!  The biggest price, however is the guilt.  Guilt because we've trained our kids to eat the same way - quick and easy over fresh and healthy, and the guilt of tearing down our "temple". 

The Message says in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20,
"Didn't you realize that your body is a sacred place, the place of the Holy Spirit? Don't you see that you can't live however you please, squandering what God paid such a high price for? The physical part of you is not some piece of property belonging to the spiritual part of you. God owns the whole works. So let people see God in and through your body."
 
To put it in the words of my husband, "How can you grow holier when you're unwilling to grow healthier?"  So true!

Yesterday marked three weeks of clean eating. In that time I've lost 21 pounds and my husband has lost 15.  God has definitely had His hand in this!  I can't remember a time that I've had more energy and I'm loving all the experiments going on in the kitchen! The new recipes are what spurred on this blog. Many people are asking my husband questions that he's unable to answer and he wanted a place to point them to.  The exact phrase he used today was, "I don't know what I eat or when I'm gonna eat it." Nice....

So we're wiping the slate 'clean'.  We've turned from the old unhealthy eating habits and we're forming new healthier ones.  NO GUILT!  Hallelujah!

I won't have new recipes daily (because I have a life), but I'll try to catch you up on what we've eaten so far, then update as we try new things.
I'll keep you updated on our progress. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy 'Cleaning Things Up', too!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I can't wait to catch more of your journey. The road can seem hard (and inconvenient) but it is definitely worth it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Mindy and you certainly have a way with words, truly a gift. And trust me it IS harder the older you get. Maybe i should look into eating clean myself. Can't seem to stick to anything i have tried. But thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete