Tuesday, January 24, 2012

=QUINOA-PINEAPPLE PILAF=

This is a recipe that was born out of necessity.  I was trying quinoa for the first time and had only heard how bland it was.  I'm not a fan of bland food, so I thought for a few days about what to do and this is what I came up with.  Once again, this recipe has heat, but I think you'll like the sweetness that the pineapple brings!  It's colorful to your eyes as well as to your palate.  This picture is a little pixelly, but it gives you an idea of how it looks...



1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used the kind in a microwavable pouch)
1 cup water (I used the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple and then used water for the remainder.)
1 tsp fresh cilantro or cilantro paste
1 small onion, diced
3 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
3 slices of canned pineapple (canned in juice, not syrup & as natural as possible.)
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

Bring all ingredients except brown rice to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Mix brown rice into quinoa mixture.
Serves 4-6

1 comment:

  1. perfect! i tried quinoa not too long ago and it was terrible. this sounds much more appetizing than the way i prepared it. will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete